Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Week #22: Move It, Love It

I am sitting down to post this entry after having done a session of yoga at work. I think it's fitting that I'm about to talk about enjoying your activity while I'm blissed out from my own.

Does this look like a person who liked to exercise? I can assure you: NO.

I mentioned in this morning's meeting that I used to be the person who never exercised. Hated it, in fact. I got my mom to write me a note to get me out of running the mile in gym class when I was in high school.

All that's changed now. I exercise regularly. I've run five marathons. I'm studying exercise science and considering getting certified to teach fitness classes! How the heck did that all happen?!?

I will admit that in the beginning I got sweaty simply to burn calories. Riding a stationary bike? BO-RING. But I did it. Aerobics videos? Oh Jane Fonda, you scamp, I did a few of those too, even though I hated it and felt uncoordinated.

But then a coworker challenged me to run a 5K. And I decided that since I was paying for a gym membership, I might try some of the group fitness classes - and wouldn't you know, I found stuff I liked!

Here's a list of the things I have done in the past month or so: running, indoor cycling (spinning), boot camp, Pilates, yoga, weight lifting, and the 5 DVD set that we're selling in the WW meeting rooms right now.

And here's one thing I've tried but you will likely never see me do again: ZUMBA. I'm sorry. I know, the collective tsking is deafening, but Zumba and I (or more specifically "my hips") just don't get along. And since I don't enjoy taking a class where I feel like an uncoordinated fool, I have determined it is Decidedly Not For Me.

So if you look at my list and swear you'd never run unless you were being chased by someone wielding a weapon, that's OK! You'll find something else. And judging by the popularity of Zumba, that's probably what it'll be, and you and I can wave at each other while we pass each other on the way to our own favorite activities.

No comments: