Thursday, May 17, 2012

Week #20: Outsmart the Supermarket


Honestly, that's how it feels sometimes, right?

I take grocery shopping very seriously! It's really important to me to get the right foods on hand and know that a healthy meal is waiting for me at every turn. For me this means a lot of thought, planning, and list-making. For you, who may not be as obsessive and detail-oriented as I am, maybe you can get away with less effort.

Regardless of the level of meal planning you do before you hit the store, here are some guidelines you might want to consider:

1. NEVER GO HUNGRY. Seriously, I mean it. Things will just jump into your cart if you shop while hungry. True story.

2. Know what you need to get. For me this means a detailed list, and if I'm really on the ball, the list is in the order I walk through the store. But it could also just mean making sure you have a pantry and refrigerator full of healthy staples that can magically be transformed into a healthy meal based on your tastes and cravings on any given day.

3. Calculate before you buy. So many of us carry smartphones, so it's easy to use either of the Weight Watcher apps to figure out a food's PointsPlus value before it goes into the shopping basket. Don't find out AFTER you eat it that it really wasn't worth it.

4. NEVER GO HUNGRY. I mean it, it bears repeating. This can be my biggest downfall, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

2 comments:

Jackie Donaldson said...

jajaajaj That flowchart is awesome, what a great laugh! You're totally right, never go shopping hungry. It's amazing how things just pop into the cart and then into one's mouth when one is ravenous!

Outsmart the Fat! said...

Right? Because surely I had no control over my arms!