Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Weekly Recipe: Don't Try This At Home, Kids.

No really. Don't.

One of the wonderful things about visiting my in-laws is the presence of The World's Best Used Bookstore That's Not Powell's in Portland. Every time we visit, it's one of the first places we go.

This year I scored the holy grail, people. At least, the holy grail as it might seem to a leader with a blog and a warped sense of humor (i.e. ME). I found a copy of The Weight Watchers Cookbook from 1966. I'd seen this before, but NOW IT IS MINE. If I can get my rear in gear, 2010 is going to be filled with some fun stuff as I plow through this. In the meantime, this week's "recipe"....

Cottage Cheese Danish

1 slice crisp toast
2 ounces cottage cheese
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp vanilla
1/2 package granulated sugar substitute

Mix cottage cheese with cinnamon, vanilla and sugar substitute. Spread on toast and place under broiler until warmed through. We think this tastes like a fresh-baked cheese Danish.*

VARIATION: use artificial butter flavor instead of vanilla and add 1/4 tsp orange rind. Roll freshly-made toast with a rolling pin to flatten**, cut diagonally in half. Divide cheese mixture over toast halves, secure bread with toothpicks and bake in preheated oven, 500 degrees, for 10 minutes.






*Yeah, right.

** BWA HA HA!!!

No comments: