Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Outsmart the Fat takes on Fat

When I named this site, the fat I was referring to was the stuff y'all are trying to get rid of. You know, the stuff that makes your thighs rub, the stuff that causes muffin top and back fat.

But all fat isn't bad, and the fat I mean this time is the kind we consume.

Linda asked last night if it was still important to get the GHG recommended 2 teaspoons of healthy oils even when you're taking vitamins and supplements. I mentioned the reasons why (healthy) fat is important to our diet, but later remembered seeing a WW article on it that I wanted to dig up.

I don't think this is exactly what I remembered, but it'll do. The essence of what I wanted to mention last night is why we need healthy fats in our diet. Among other things, they:

* help us absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K).
* provide us with vital nutrients (including Omega 3 essential fatty acids)
* are pivotal for proper gallbladder function.

If you're REALLY interested, check out Chapter 6 of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 and you'll see much the same reasoning, and a lot of other things. I will admit my eyes glazed a little, but it corroborates what you see above.

So fat can be friendly. Don't be afraid of it! And as with all of our Good Health Guidelines, try to solve them first with real food, and then if you need to, supplement as necessary. Maybe even work with your doctor on that one - it may turn out you don't need all those pills!

No comments: