Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Operation: Healthy Birthday

Today is my 36th birthday. That's right, I'm telling you how old I am - who cares, right? Although I'd rather not hear from anyone who thought I was older than that! Anyway, my Monday group knows that my plan was to have a Healthy Birthday. This meant that I'd stay within Points and get all the Good Health Guidelines. I haven't gone to bed yet, but we're pretty much to the end of the day, so here's how it went:

1. Five servings of fruits and vegetables - all of my main dishes at mealtime had fruits and/or vegetables in them, and I snacked on an apple and an orange. I don't usually bother weighing and measuring my vegetables, so I don't know how many actual servings I had, but I can tell you it was way more than 5 in total.

2. Two servings of dairy - I had my usual morning smoothie: a cup of fat-free milk and a packet of Weight Watchers white chocolate peppermint smoothie, so check on that one.

3. Two teaspoons of healthy oil - I put a teaspoon of canola into that smoothie, and a teaspoon of olive oil went into the soup I had for lunch.

4. Choose whole grains whenever possible - for breakfast I had Quinoa with Squash and Cranberries (from our new Healthy Cooking Basics cookbook, which by the way was awesome). And this week I threw a handful of wheat berries into my vegetable soup. So I think that counts!

5. 1-2 servings of lean protein - for dinner I made Chicken and White Bean Stew with Lemon & Sage (also from that brand new cookbook). While it was chicken thighs, I think because it's a WW recipe I'm still golden on that one.

6. 6 glasses of water - I easily drink 12 glasses of water by say 10am, so no problem whatsoever on that one.

7. Take a multi-vitamin - oops. This is one I haven't been doing lately. In fact, I don't even have any in the house. I completely forgot about this one until compiling this list. Ahem.

8. 30 minutes of activity most days - I woke up early and took a spin class, then went BACK to the gym later (crazy, I know) and took a weights class. I think that counts, don't you?

9. Limit sugars and alcohol - I didn't have any alcohol today; I am about to have "pudding in a cloud" (pudding cup with cool whip) and a cup of sugar-free hot chocolate, and that is the only thing I'm having today that has any non-naturally occurring sugar. DONE.

So 8 of 9 GHGs met. I am coming in exactly at my daily target as well. And to cap it off, tonight I worked a meeting at the Clairemont center as a weigher.

Sounds like a healthy day, doesn't it? I also spent some time reading, surfing the internet, and watching a few episodes of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. In all, a pretty good day filled with things I like doing.

If only every day were like this day....

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I thought you didn't have cable! Anthony Bourdain?? Uhhummm! :)

I'm definately going to try the pumpkin Enchiladas sounds fabulous!

Outsmart the Fat! said...

I don't - Netflix, my friend!