Saturday, August 01, 2009

July Update: Goals 2009

Here we are, another month gone. So how am I doing at achieving the goals I set back in January?

1. Get back down to 130 (then later revised to try and break it down 2 pounds at a time)

I started the month at 138.6, and just 30 minutes ago I checked in at 138.0. So at least I'm lower than when I started. I think honestly, I'm just not "discontent" enough to really make it happen.

I don't really have any enlightened thoughts on all of that right now, but I do think this is a relevant place to mention that today's weigh in now marks my twelfth anniversary at goal. I'm not sure I ever believed back then that I'd be able to keep this up for so long. And I sure never envisioned that I'd be leading meetings and loving every second of it. But here we are.

So as much as I still struggle with my personal goal to get to a vanity weight, I think it's good to stop and reflect on everything I've accomplished. I'm certain that living 12 years at a healthy weight has been beneficial for my long-term health and wellness. It's enabled me to run 5 marathons. Which means...I'm an athlete. I get to spend some time helping other people make positive changes in their lives, and along the way I've met some pretty special people (some of whom are probably reading this right now!).

How's that for a little positive self-talk?

2. Lay off the diet soda

I'm still clicking along well on this one - I think in July I did a much better job at limiting my sodas to eating in restaurants, and not sneaking an extra one in here and there.

Since diet soda spawned my last entry on sodium, it might be good to reflect that since I don't drink a 32oz fountain soda every day now, I'm saving hundreds of milligrams of sodium each week. That's not too shabby, though I wish it was as easy to save a few hundred calories!

No comments: