Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Week #14: Anchors Aweigh!

Lifetime Keys have gotten smaller over the years....

As dedicated as we are on this journey (and you're totally dedicated, right? RIGHT?) it's sometimes easy to go temporarily insane and forget why we wanted to adopt a healthy lifestyle in the first place. That's when an anchor comes in handy.

As we discussed this week, an anchor is an object, gesture, phrase, anything at all that can help you get back in touch with the empowered thoughts and feelings you've had all along. Like in The Wizard of Oz, you've had those resources to succeed within you the whole time. Sometimes you just need a reminder.

Here's one of the things that reminds me of what I'm capable of:


If I ever think I can't do something, all I need to do is remind myself what a pain in the tuchus it was to run my first marathon. As a side note, what I love about this photo is the finish time clock. Do you really think I ran 26.2 miles in just over three and a half hours? That's something like an eight minute mile - I wish! What really happened is that back when I ran this race, the San Diego Marathon (now the Carlsbad Marathon) offered an "early start" for those "slower" runners who thought they'd take over 4 hours to finish. So instead of starting with the elite runners at 7:30, we could start at 6:30 and get a jump on things. So the finish clock in that photo is based not on my personal start time, but the official regular start time. Add an hour to that clock and you've got my real finish time.

Trust me when I tell you that running for that long is NOT easy. So whatever weight loss has to throw at me? I can totally handle it.

2 comments:

Heather @ Better With Veggies said...

I love this - it's just like one of my mottos: You can achieve the impossible!! It's just about reminding and convincing yourself of that face AND putting in the work. :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, what a great anchor-- Pretty darn inspirational, and makes me realize it's time to get my butt to the gym!