Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Fuji Apples with Saigon Cinnamon

A fellow Weight Watchers leader shared this simple snack idea, and I thought you might enjoy. Here's what he has to say:

I've gotten rave reviews over my simple Fuji apples and Saigon cinnamon habit. I started eating apples and cinnamon well before the new PP program, but since the new program, it's really come into its own. Members rave about how it helps them, so I routinely bring my bag of apples and cinnamon into the meeting room, and let people marvel at how good they smell and taste.

The approach is simple: I cut up about 4 Fuji apples into eighths and put them in a freezer size zip lock bag. In the morning I pull them from the fridge and sprinkle some Saigon cinnamon on them.

The apples become this delicious treat that accompanies me the whole day. Everywhere I go, people comment on how good they smell each time I open the bag. I carry them in my car and the whole car smells wonderful. As the day progresses and the apples get a little warm, they taste even better.

A few months back, I randomly commented about my apples in front of the meeting room and everyone wanted to know about them. I shared my approach and members immediately began imitating me, bringing back wonderful stories about how the apples and cinnamon helped them.

Now, I have fun with it, I always bring my bag of apples and often comment on them. I joke with members who become members of my "Fuji apples and cinnamon cult" -- everyone laughs, and members who use it, rave about it.

Zero points plus.....oh yeah.


So. Where do you get Saigon cinnamon? I wouldn't be surprised if locally you might find it at Whole Foods, maybe in Henry's bulk spice section, or at specialty kitchen shops like Great News. But definitely you can order it online at Penzey's or The Spice House. I have ordered from Penzeys before and can 100% vouch for their quality and service. Let me know if you try it!

No comments: