Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Callaloo

I don't think I'd ever heard the word "callaloo" until last week, much less eaten it. But a weekly email that I subscribe to passed along this recipe for a stew inspired by what turns out to be a Caribbean dish.

I know that recipe doesn't have any nutrition information (something that bums me out when I find a great-sounding recipe) so I built it myself and made a few modifications which you can see here. Basically I subbed in light coconut milk for the regular, and replaced half the broth with plain water, because the sodium count as originally built was ridiculous. I opted to go with the bean option and leave out the rice. With this link you can calculate the PointsPlus value easily.

So it turns out that this week is All About Callaloo because just today, I get a message in my inbox with yet another version of callaloo that might make an excellent side dish.

No matter what you think of the food, you've got to admit it's a fun sounding word. CALLALOO!!!

No comments: