Saturday, September 11, 2010

Race Recap: Sand Pit 5K

In a post a few days ago I mentioned I'd be participating in a 5K course with obstacles. I am pleased to say that I emerged *mostly* unscathed, and present to you a post-race rundown of what you could have been doing this morning.

The course began on the sand just north of the Giant Dipper coaster at Belmont park. We started in waves, and the pink wristband you may or may not be able to see in the photos meant all the other 30-39 year old gals like myself started at 8:12am. We started the course in loosely packed dry sand and headed to the first obstacle.


This was supposed to be "knee deep" water, but when you're only 5'4" it's more like mid-thigh level. Running progress was awfully slow here as we made our way down the beach. We periodically would pop back up onto hard packed sand, which was a million times easier to run on. Eventually, we were routed back onto soft sand for the next obstacle, the Seal Crawl.


These ropes weren't nearly as low as I expected, so I didn't have to be as low on the sand as I thought I would be. After running in the water, this was a relief.

Next up was the "In & Outs" which meant that we'd enter the water, run out to a flag in "waist deep" water, run back to shore, and do the same thing two or three more times. I should add that the tide was coming in at this point, so "waist deep" actually meant "waves crashing over your head and totally submerging you." A few of us lost our footing and crashed into each other, but in the spirit of the event, a few apologies were given, and we were on our way. This was the second hardest part of the race. Running against water rushing back out to sea turns out to be extremely challenging.

We ran a little further north on hard sand until we had to pop up for the next obstacle - the limbo. We'd jump over a bar, then duck under one, three times, the high bar getting lower each time. We were a little loosey-goosey with our limboing at this point, but no one cared.

Now we headed up onto soft sand, where we stayed for the remainder of the course. We hit the turnaround, and started heading south to the next obstacle.

The Small Walls of China were easier than I expected. The walls were those plastic barriers you see on the edge of construction or road work. Very easy to swing a leg over, which was a relief after running on soft sand.

More soft sand running until we hit the tires, where we met someone channeling his inner Drill Instructor, telling us to high step it and hurry up. Frankly I was relieved to not have gotten my toes stuck in a tire for a face plant.


By this point we all seem to be shuffling down the sand, running when we can, walking when we realize it's probably faster than "running." Aha, the next obstacle...quicksand.

I was worried about this one, but it was the easiest of all. An obstacLOL if you will. Their attempt to wet down sand until saturated really meant we just got to run over a square of densely packed sand, a quick respite from slogging through all the dry stuff. Hooray!

Next obstacle was Hoop La. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a video of me navigating my way through the obstacle.

I am now sick and tired of running on soft sand, and it seems so are the people around me. One woman claimed that she would rather run a half marathon than have to run on this sand, and I'm inclined to agree.

Next up: Sand Everest


Thanks to the lady cheering us up this mountain, and for her suggestion to "use your arms" and "step quickly!" The hill was supposed to be 7-10 feet high, and that's probably about right.

Just at the bottom of Sand Everest we needed to drop and once again crawl under ropes, and right after that we got to "rinse off" by running through a pit of water that was actually knee deep, and perhaps 10-15 feet long. There's where the cheering stopped, but the finish line wasn't as close as I would have liked.


Finally, about 45 minutes after I began, I crossed the finish line. Sandy, sweaty, slightly bruised and tired. Thanks go to my husband for the photos and video of the day, and for having something dry and not sandy for me to rub my eyes with at the finish line.

So what did I learn here today?

1. Running on soft sand is hard. No, really. Harder than I seemed to recall.
2. While this was a fun adventure, I don't need to seek this kind of thing out again.
3. I'm OK with a low level of dirt/dust/mud when I run, but this was dirtier than I cared to get.
4. In light of #3, I doubt I'll ever bother with a triathlon.

And now, for some well-earned couch loafing.

4 comments:

Clinging By The Fingernails said...

You're so awesome! This sounds like fun, but that's from the perspective of someone who didn't have to run it. LOL

Mark said...

Triathlons are fun...soft sand is just torture!

Erica said...

My thighs are burning in sympathy. Looks like fun, if torturous fun.

Keeley said...

I ran this and I remember you, you kicked ass sister! Way to go!