Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Weekly Recipe: Quick Couscous Pilaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

I found this recipe in a Vegetarian Times cookbook. I'm going to use real onion and garlic instead of dehydrated, and I'll probably serve it over some wilted greens.

8/5/2010 Edit: this gnawed at me all night. Two and a half cups of couscous for two servings? Sounds too good to be true. So I built the recipe to be sure, and yeah, the recipe as originally written is over 800 calories per serving if you divide it into two servings. I have updated the information below.

Quick Couscous Pilaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Serves 8 (originally this said it serves 2)

6 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup dehydrated onion
1/4 Tbsp dehydrated garlic
6 low-sodium vegetable boullion cubes
6 cups water
2 1/2 cups instant couscous
Dash turmeric
Dash paprika, for garnish

Bring to a boil the sun-dried tomatoes, onion, garlic, boullion and water. Stir in the couscous and turmeric. Return to a simmer; then remove from the heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Sprinkle paprika on top.

Original Incorrect Information:Per serving: 187 calories, 7g protein, 0.2g fat, 21g carbohydrates, 0mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 7g fiber

Revised Information:Per serving: 224 calories, 7g protein, 0.3g fat, 47g carbohydrates, 0mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 3g fiber

I have no idea what the folks at Vegetarian Times were thinking. And now I'm afraid to use anything else in that cookbook without independently verifying it first. That sucks!

No comments: