Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Weekly Recipe: Fruity Quinoa

Last summer, Mark Bittman of The New York Times fame posted a blog entry called something like "101 Essential Salads for the Season." I pretty much decided that I'd eat the heck out of about 85% of them.

The one I'm posting today was originally posted as follows:

"Toss cooked quinoa with fresh sliced apricots, cherries, pecans, and enough lemon and black pepper to make the whole thing savory."

Not much of an actual recipe, right? So I decided to build the recipe myself. I haven't made this live (plan to this weekend) so the proportions may need to be tweaked, but I think this is a pretty good start.

1 cup dry quinoa
3 apricots, sliced
1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup pecans, chopped into small pieces
black pepper
1/4 cup (or to taste) lemon juice

Cook the quinoa per package instructions.

Toss the cooked quinoa with the rest of the ingredients. The specific amount of lemon juice and black pepper will be to taste.

Divide this recipe into 5 servings and you'll get: 206 calories, 6.7g fat, 3.9g fiber, 5.9g protein

2 comments:

Jackie Donaldson said...

Savory! Ha! How did it turn out?

Outsmart the Fat! said...

Well, I made it yesterday. Henry's didn't have any cherries (please don't tell me that was it for cherry season!) so I used blueberries instead.

It's going to be my breakfast this week, but based on a spoonful, it turned out swell.