Sunday, March 28, 2010

Appetite Adjustment

A friend forwarded an interesting article via Berkeley Wellness Alerts about getting control of your appetite. I link it for you so that you can read it for yourself, but I'm going to add a little of my own commentary here.

Volume - If we tend to eat the same volume of food no matter what, we serve ourselves best by eating foods full of bulk, not calories. Look at the list the Berkeley folks have put together. Looks a lot like the Filling Foods list, doesn't it?

Food Components - Berkeley mentions high protein breakfasts, and this takes me to my flip chart for the new member orientation. 4 Points on toast or 4 Points on an omelet? Which will sustain you longer?

Portion Size and Visual Cues - didn't we just have a meeting on this? How much you eat is so important, so do yourself a favor and make sure you don't fall into traps where you don't realize how much you're eating.

These tips and the rest at the link are pretty much verbatim what you'll hear in Weight Watchers meetings around the country. To me this is validation. To you, maybe the more you hear it, the more you'll believe it!

No comments: