Saturday, February 28, 2009

February Update: Goals 2009

Once again, it's time to update you all on the progress of my goals for 2009.

1. Get back down to 130

February starting weight: 137.8
February ending weight: 137.0
Net Loss: 0.8 pounds

Well friends, there's progress. Not a lot, but it's something. I actually was down lower in the middle of the month, but bounced back up a bit. Today I feel good. I am not "feeling fat" (if you'll allow me to use that phrase, because I think you all know what I mean - some days are fat days, some days are not) but instead feel pretty athletic and lean, thanks to a great workout today.



Tracking my hunger signals for the months was pretty interesting, and it was something I managed to do 23 out of the 28 days of the month. I don't think in and of itself it helped me eat less, but knowing I was going to need to pull out my journal several times a day certainly kept me connected and thoughtful about my eating. In the past I have often not bothered to pull out my journal and log in dinner and any after-dinner snacks, knowing "it was all on plan," but vowing to track my hunger signals actually made it so that, while the journal was out, I tracked everything I ate in the evening. It's not a magic bullet, but it's still something I would recommend you try - even if only for the unintended associated consequences.

So what do I try for March? I think I'm going to focus on my portion sizes. And in particular, I'm going to revisit how much I'm eating to make sure there hasn't been any "portion creep" going on. I'd like to weigh and measure more, and be very honest about how heaping those spoonfuls are.

I will continue to track daily, and continue to pay attention to hunger signals as well.

2. Lay off the diet soda

I was out of town for a few days at the beginning of the month, and because I was eating away from home, had soda on 4 of those days. But I am happy to report that since February 8th, I have had no diet soda at all! It's getting easier to not drink soda as a general rule, and since my husband and I typically dine at restaurants only once a week (Saturday nights!) it seems like no big deal to allow myself a diet soda on those occasions. So if anyone sees me out tonight, I don't want to hear about the diet soda I'm likely to be drinking, okay?!?

No comments: