Tuesday, April 13, 2010

More on the Double Down

I think I might be slightly obsessed with this sandwich. But judging by all the chatter on the interwebs, I don't think I'm the only one.

So now the Double Down is officially available at KFC and people are starting to order it, eat it and write about it.

A paper in Virginia wrote an article that caught my eye, merely for this quote:

Comedian Patton Oswalt called the Famous Bowl a "failure pile in a sadness bowl." Is the Double Down a gross sadness stack?

I don't know why, but that just makes me laugh and laugh. When I originally read this article yesterday, they referred to the bunless burger available at In-N-Out as "animal style" which is HORRIBLY INCORRECT, but I see they have since edited the article to refer to it as "protein style" which is of course its proper name.

Wikipedia already has an entry on the sandwich, and what I love is that it is categorized as "Bacon Dishes." It warms the cockles of my heart to know there is a category of articles with such a title. And don't think I won't explore those later. The article also uses the term "meat glorb." Double Down - making us create new words since 2010!

And finally, I don't know about you, but I was actually surprised by the nutritional statistics on this sandwich. Less than 600 calories? Well, there's an article in the Daily Mail (UK) that suggests the real calorie count is near 1,200 calories. Having never seen this sandwich in the wild, I don't know how big or small it really is. But it would not surprise me if this was one of those food products that has its calorie count adjusted upward after awhile.

Anyone tried one yet? Will you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - Double Down looks gross and I can't believe the calorie count. But I was highly entertained by "thisiswhyyourefat.com" especially the bacon bouquet!