Thursday, March 07, 2013

Week #10 - What's Your Next Meal?

Okay, it's time to launch a new monthly routine! This month: after each meal or snack, decide how many PointsPlus values you'll use for your next meal.

I like the way this routine is worded, because so often when we talk planning, it's about what you're going to eat. While for me this is no big deal, there are people who like to be a little more...spontaneous about their food choices than I am. So having a PPV or range of PPV that you plan on spending is a good compromise - it allows you to change your mind or go with whatever craving you've been having.

This week's entry is going to be a mish-mash of stuff, because there are a couple of things I want to share, mostly as a result of this past week's discussion.

First, I wanted to share with you the dressing I mentioned that went on my Really Big Salad this week: Tofu Herb Dressing. Yes, it has tofu in it, but if you're new to that ingredient it really has very little taste, so it's the herbs and shallots that really come through, and the tofu serves to create a nice creamy base. VERY flavorful!

Second, I thought I'd share my egg salad recipe. I didn't run it through the recipe builder since I'm doing Simply Filling this week, and everything in it is a Power Food. I made a pretty big batch, but you could scale it as needed.

10 hard boiled eggs
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 bunch scallions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, diced
Several celery ribs, diced
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped a little
Pepper and other herbs to taste (I used one of those all-in-one salt-free spices)
spinach leaves or other greens to serve under the egg salad

Once you've chopped all the veggies, mix everything together but the spinach leaves. Season it how you like, and serve over the greens. I divided this recipe into five containers, and am bringing it to work for breakfast all this week.

Finally, I thought this article, Create the Habits of Being Lean in 7 Years was interesting. I think we all tend to be in a hurry to get everything in our lives changed at once. That can be overwhelming and difficult! It's a little bit easier when you take your time. And in my experience, I've found my life, health, and habits are continually evolving, well after hitting my original goal weight. The way I eat and exercise now is far different from how I did these things fifteen years ago.

3 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Love the notion of PLANNING a portion ahead of time rather than scarfing and regretting, which is the strategy I've been falling into the last few days.

And the Long Term perspective is so smart when it comes to weight loss, yet everyone wants quick solutions! Seven years actually sounds far more realistic.

Sara said...

My next meal is the usual, a fruit smoothie with protein! Great way to start the day! Thanks for the post.

Z Carter said...

My next "meal" if a protein coffee! It gives energy and protein all in one. It tastes like a frozen latte!