Saturday, August 13, 2011

Return of I Cook So You Don't Have To! Avocado Berry Smoothie

If you were in this week's meeting (and you were, weren't you?!?) you may recall that there was an idea in this week's Weight Watchers Weekly to make an avocado smoothie. Now, I love avocados, so I'm just crazy enough to decide that was a good idea. Here's what the suggestion said:

"Blend flesh of 1 avocado with 1 cup nonfat milk, 1/2 cup ice cubes, and 1 cup fresh berries. Sweeten to taste."

Now, using simple recipe math, I figured this was going to be a PointsPlus loaded smoothie, what with a full avocado and all. But I also figured that with a cup of berries, a cup of milk and a whole avocado, this would blend up into a very large smoothie, and could easily be two servings. And so I decided this would be a Saturday morning treat for my husband and I.

Here are the nutritionals for what I made. I went out of my way to find a rather small avocado, and according to the scale, there was 3.4 ounces of flesh. I used a combination of raspberries and strawberries - mostly because the raspberries I bought for this ended up being fuzzier than I could tell when I bought the package, and I happened to have some strawberries on hand. But I think this would probably also work with blueberries.


Surprisingly this smoothie didn't turn out green, like I expected. The berry color is obviously the dominant one here. I could taste the avocado, but I'd say I tasted the berries more. It was tremendously smooth and creamy (I'm sure making it in my Vitamix probably helped). By using a small avocado, this was definitely not the calorie bomb that I anticipated.

So try it. You might like it!

No comments: