Thursday, January 03, 2008

Outsmart The Fat - A Weight Loss Manifesto

Sometime in 2007 during a discussion on weight loss, a member said that she felt like she had to "outsmart the fat" in order to get to her weight goal. The reaction in the room was a resounding "WOAH!" I know it really struck a chord with me personally, and I resolved at that moment to immediately adopt it as my own personal catch phrase (Lauri, the check is in the mail, okay?). Some of you might notice that Outsmart the Fat is the name of this blog, and I mention the concept in the weekly emails that I send out.

So what's it all about? I'll tell you what "Outsmart The Fat" means to me:

Losing weight and keeping it off is a voyage of self-discovery.

Do you know your strengths and weaknesses? Is there a certain time of day you are prone to unplanned eating? What foods satisfy you the most? If you can answer these questions, you're well on your way. Being smart about what makes you tick makes life much easier.

If you keep skipping workouts, ask yourself why. Is the activity boring? Do you hate the atmosphere of the gym? Do you feel self-conscious working out in front of other people? Find an activity that you enjoy and that you feel comfortable committing to, and chances are you'll be more consistent.

Do you constantly abandon your pre-packed lunch and buy something from the cafeteria? Again, ask yourself why. Are you in a rut, eating the same food every day? Does the food leave you hungry before it's time for the next meal? If you eat another apple or baby carrot will you scream?

Some of this self-discovery will involve making changes and trying new things. When was the last time you actually ate broccoli or Brussels sprouts? Do you really hate them? Do you really hate exercise? I assume you say that because you've tried every sport out there, right?

Losing weight and keeping it off sometimes involves playing tricks on your mind.

I'm convinced our fat cells are in cahoots with our brain cells. Eating less and moving more in theory is not a complicated process. But if it were easy, Weight Watchers would have gone out of business long ago.

I exercise regularly, but if I had a nickel for every time I blew off a workout I'd be able to buy a lot of Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. So sometimes I have to fool myself into doing "just 5 minutes of activity." Or I fool myself into getting up early and exercising in the morning, before my brain (and fat cells) have woken up to tell me I'm crazy.

If food is around, I'll eat it. So sometimes I have to tell myself that the food is not "mine." Or I have to think about how many hands have been plunged into that communal candy jar.

These tricks, which sound perhaps childish or dishonest, are enough to give me a moment's pause. And in that moment, I remember why I'm doing this. What does the workout get me? How will I feel if I eat this food? It's just enough of a moment to allow me to use those Tools For Living. My fat cells have never even heard of those!

Losing weight and keeping it off sometimes involves playing tricks on your body.

Anyone who has ever busted through a plateau knows this. Changing your routine is often the key to resuming weight loss. Don't let your body get too accustomed to your routine. Shake it up every now and again. Keep those fat cells guessing!

Your body also has this nasty habit of only needing a certain amount of calories to sustain itself. Well, we can be smarter than our bodies. You volume eaters know what I mean - you may only get 24 Points per day, but that doesn't mean it has to be a small quantity of food, right? Two words: energy density. If you feed your body foods that provide the most bulk for the fewest calories, you won't have to constantly listen to your stomach growl. Take that, metabolism!

Losing weight and keeping it off requires you to become educated about food and activity.

Nutrition information is out there. If you wonder if a food is low in Points, look it up! Don't rely on anyone else to do the work for you. Read those labels, use your PointsFinder, familiarize yourself with the Core Food List. Visit websites for the restaurants you patronize. Ask your server how the kitchen prepares the food.

Activity is important - if you burn more calories, you either get to lose more weight or eat more food to maintain your current weight. But be smart about it. Learn the proper technique for whatever activity you engage in. Be aware of how to properly warm up and cool down. Stretch your muscles. Learn when to say when so you don't overtrain and end up injured.

So get smart. Gather knowledge. Learn what works (and what doesn't). At some point you will become smarter than those tricky fat cells and you too, will be able to Outsmart The Fat!

Oh, and Lauri? She became a Lifetime member, and still attends meetings frequently to keep herself at her goal.

No comments: